Looking for a quick gluten free friendly meal in less than an hour? Stop here! This simple recipe can be served as an appetizer before the main course or pairs well with Netflix and a cozy blanket on the couch.
I love making this in the colder months because sweet potatoes are so readily available, and it curbs my sweet tooth without guilt. It’s also a part of my meal preps as it goes wonderful with a salad or a nice slice of toasted bread. An added bonus just in case you’re wondering, sweet potatoes are actually a great source of fiber, vitamins, minerals and rich in antioxidants. I use fresh garlic and thyme as the flavours are so vibrant as opposed to the dried herbs, and when combined with cinnamon...oh my goodness, I guarantee your kitchen will smell incredible.
With less than 10 ingredients needed, the prep for this is pretty minimal, as the most
labor-intensive thing you’ll need to do is wash, peel and dice your potatoes into cubes and rinse your thyme and garlic. Its hassle free and gives you more time to do other things while it's simmering.
Now I usually make this recipe using chicken broth, but feel free to use vegetable broth as a vegan friendly alternative. You will need a blender of some sort to puree all of the ingredients to give your soup that smooth texture; I use my NutriBullet and man that sucker is loud, but it gets the job done plus I don’t have to wait for the mixture to cool before blending. You may need to process your soup in batches and that’s perfectly fine as it will ensure everything fuses together nicely. Now its your turn to re-create this super easy meal in less than an hour.
Simple Sweet Potato Soup
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Yields: approximately 4 cups
Author: the peckish palate
· 4 medium sweet potatoes
· 4 cups of chicken broth (vegetable broth optional)
· 4 cloves of garlic (cut in half)
· 1 tablespoon maple syrup
· 1 tablespoon pecans (coarsely chopped)
· 4-6 sprigs fresh thyme
· 1 teaspoon dried parsley
· 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
· Salt and pepper to taste
1. Rinse sweet potatoes thoroughly and peel and cut into small cubes
2. In a large pot, bring to a boil the chicken broth; add in sweet potatoes, garlic, thyme, cinnamon and salt and pepper to taste.
3. Reduce to medium heat, let simmer until the potatoes are soft and tender, approximately 30 minutes. Just before you remove from heat add in 1 tablespoon of maple syrup and stir.
4. Remove the thyme stems before placing your mixture into the food processor. You may have to blend in batches which is okay because this will ensure you have a smooth creamy texture.
5. Once blended, top with chopped pecans, sprinkle a dash of parsley and drizzle with a little maple syrup for garnish and serve.
6. Once cool, store in a glass or air-tight container for up to one week.