Updated: Aug 31, 2020
Banana Bread is one of my favourite goodies to indulge in, especially when its fresh out the oven and topped with ice cream. Now because I am trying to make healthier choices without compromising flavour and depriving myself of one of my adored foods, I’ve made this bread altering my family’s non-gluten recipe to create a hearty, delicious treat that’s simple to make and super moist.
In my opinion, what makes banana bread extra special is the added toss in’s. This is where you can be creative and tweak this recipe to your liking. Some of my favourite add in’s include walnuts, almonds and cashews just to name a few.
Now if you have a nut allergy you can sub in some dairy free chocolate chips for that added touch. Oh, and let me not forget to mention the riper the bananas the sweeter they’ll be as the sugar content is richer. And if you’re anything like me and don’t eat your bananas quick enough to the point where they get totally black on the outside, then that my friend is a recipe for the perfect bread!
In terms of the gluten free flour, I typically gravitate towards the Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free All-Purpose baking flour. I have tried other flours including the Robin Hood Gluten free all-purpose flour blend, so use whatever flour you have on deck. I haven’t found a noticeable difference in the finished product. My go to dairy free “butter” is the soy free buttery spread by Earth Balance. Its soy-free, vegan, gluten free and non gmo and I have found it works just as well as regular butter. If you use different add ins from the one’s I’ve mentioned comment down below as I’d love to try your variations.
Alright enough chatter now let’s get started shall we.
Gluten Free & Dairy Free Banana Bread
Cook Time: approximately 50 minutes
Author: The Peckish Palate
· 2 cups of Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free All-Purpose Baking Flour
· 4 ripe bananas
· ½ cup honey
· ½ cup (melted) Earth Balance Soy free buttery spread
· ¼ cup almonds (coarsely chopped). Set aside 2 tablespoons to sprinkle
on top before placing in the oven
· 2 large eggs
· 2 tablespoons of date paste
(quick recipe click here: https://www.thepeckishpalate.ca/post/2-ingredient-date-paste)
· 1 tablespoon flax seeds (optional)
· ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
· ½ teaspoon baking soda
· ½ teaspoon baking power
· ¼ teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9x5 loaf pan with your buttery spread and sprinkle your gluten free flour around the pan and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, flaxseeds and set aside. In a separate bowl combine melted butter, honey, eggs, vanilla and mashed bananas until well blended. Stir in your banana mixture to your dry flour mix along with the coarsely chopped almonds and blend together until all the ingredients are evenly combined. Transfer your batter to your prepared baking loaf pan. Sprinkle the 2 tablespoons of almonds you set aside on top of the bread.
3. Bake at the preheated setting of 350 degrees for 50 minutes to an hour. To test for doneness, use either a knife or toothpick, insert at the centre of the loaf until the contents of the bread appear clear on the tooth pick or knife.
4. Let the bread cool for a few minutes in the pan and serve warm!